The CAATE has compiled frequently asked questions for students, professionals and post-professionals. Find answers to your questions below.

PROFESSIONAL FAQS - General Questions

No, there is nothing that needs to be submitted to the CAATE to notify a change in CEC.  You will need to make the changes in eAccreditation in relation to officials as well as faculty profiles. Additionally, Standards 16 and 17 (2012 Professional Standards) may need to be adjusted with regard to FTE and PD/CEC course load, if that changes with this transition.

Because the knowledge, skills, and abilities in the Athletic Training Educational Competencies are of a higher skill level than first aid or ECC, students do not have to have formal certification in either of those areas. The content must be taught and evaluated, but there is no requirement to have “cards” to document instruction. Documentation might be completed through the curriculum module/matrix and/or in the course syllabi in which the content is taught and evaluated. Please note: Candidates who sit for the BOC exam MUST have documentation of ECC for verification.

PROFESSIONAL FAQS - 2012 Professional Program Standards

A clinical experience can extend beyond the academic semester and during breaks as long as it is tied to an academic course. The aforementioned scenario could be considered compliant if all other criteria are met.  For example, it is critical that this practice is approved by those in the institution with authority to do so to ensure students are not prohibited from returning early for a variety of reasons (e.g. liability insurance coverage).